Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Reston, Virginia

So last weekend there was also a criterium in Reston, VA, which Michele, Kristy and I decided to race as a wee test for ourselves, since we are all on the comeback trail – Kristy from a big crash at Philly (yes, the report IS coming one day, I'm not just all talk!), me from being sick, and Michele from working like a maniac and running round after everyone else!

The course had 7 corners, was a little undulating and therefore relatively technical, and was made even more exciting by the fact that it started raining as soon as we started and poured the entire race until 2 minutes after we finished. Murphy’s Law I guess!

Anyway, Kristy and Michele were at it from the get go, launching attacks of the front and riding really aggressively – I could hear Joe the commentator telling the crowd that Altarum were ‘all over it’……..and turns out we kind of were! I ended up winning the 1st two sprint primes (which I think was purely luck, experience in the rain and positioning since I have not done one iota of intensity for the last 3 weeks!), then we set up a brilliant, textbook lead out train for Kristy for the final sprint. Michele got on the front nailing it with two laps to go, then I took over for the last lap digging as hard as I possibly could….I heard a crash behind me with 2 corners to go (horrible, gut wrenching sound), but kept pushing the pedals as hard as I could, then, as I turned into the final straight ready to pull off and let Kristy fly past for the win, I glanced behind me to see where she was…..and she wasn’t there!!! I had the most sick feeling in my stomach knowing she had probably crashed, but in the same instant I knew I had to pull myself together, find another turn of speed and sprint for the team! I ended up 2nd, which was a good consolation prize as I am certain Kristy would’ve taken the win….she ended up getting caught up in crash and having to stop (without really crashing herself – phew!).

We had a great lunch afterwards at one of the fantastic Reston cafĂ©’s (there are some really cool places there!)and Joe (the commentator) spotted us and told that crowd that you know you are big time when you have matching 'LEEISUURE wear' like the Altarum girls! hee hee.

I hitched a ride with Michele to Lancaster where I am hanging out with her and Brad in their little piece of paradise until Iron Hill, PA which is on the 11th. I really love it here – especially riding through all the Amish farms and amongst all the horses and carriages - never ceases to amaze me!

Meanwhile, Anna and Kate are getting ready to take on Fitchberg, up in Massachusetts. We think they are really fast and super cool and the other competitors should be scared. Really scared.

No comments:

Post a Comment